Representation in Cases of Incapacity (Age, Illness, Accident)

1.4.1. Text aus 1.3.1

Representation in Cases of Incapacity (Age, Illness, Accident): General Power of Attorney, Lasting Power of Attorney, Living Wills

Should the authorities provide you with a legal guardian in case of incapacity? Or would you rather determine who should best represent your interests, avoid bureaucratic obstacles, complicated billing procedures and limited investment possibilities for your assets as well as not having a stranger decide on your living arrangements (nursing home, etc.).

  • By granting a general power of attorney
    you can delegate tasks to a person of trust at all times. You decide when the general power of attorney becomes effective. It is valid without approval by the authorities.
  • By providing a lasting power of attorney (Advance Care Directive)
    you decide who takes care of your personal needs (e.g. living arrangements) and your assets, who decides and acts on your behalf when you are no longer able to so yourself. The adult protection authority has to give effect to the power of attorney.
  • By drawing up a living will (Patient Decree)
    you determine, prior to any impairment, of your capacity of judgement, who will assess possible medical measures and decide on your behalf, and to which medical measures you agree.
  • We will be pleased to review measures taken by the adult protection authority (KESB) upon your request and represent you vis-à-vis the authorities.

Safeguard your input to self-determination. Practice proves that obtaining legal consultation is worthwhile for all concerns of personal representation.

Do not hesitate to contact us.

Our specialists